The success of the BBS Program is dependent on the quality of the graduate students enrolled. We therefore take great care in the selection of potential students: the entire BBS Oversight Committee reviews and evaluates all applications. Candidates come from many academic backgrounds. There are no set standards; rather we are searching for applicants who we believe can flourish in the program. Applicants are judged on the entire application package, including academic credentials, the statement of purpose and letters of recommendation. Prior research experience is considered particularly useful. However, it is not a prerequisite.
- Selection of a Graduate Field: You should first review the Research Specialties to identify at least three faculty who are doing research that interests you. Apply to the Field to which these faculty belong within the Biological & Biomedical Sciences Program (BBS)- Comparative Biomedical Sciences, Immunology & Infectious Disease, Molecular & Integrative Physiology, Pharmacology and Zoology & Wildlife Conservation.
- Statement of purpose and completed online application
- Transcripts from all colleges attended
- TOEFL (test of English as Foreign Language for applicants whose native language is not English); TOEFL minimum sub-scores for each element can be found here.
Letters of Recommendation
- 2 letters are required
- Once you decide to apply to the BBS program you need to let your recommenders know of the December 1st deadline
GRE Test is optional
GRE general test scores can be sent to Cornell University, Code #2098. If you have taken the test enter unofficial scores on your online application.
Application Fee Waivers
In cases of extreme financial need or participants of special programs the Graduate School will consider a request for a fee waiver. For detailed instructions, please go to: http://www.gradschool.cornell.edu/admissions/applying/fees
Top candidates will be invited for an on-campus interview. If you are a domestic applicant being considered for admission, you may be asked to attend an Interview/Recruitment Event, scheduled for February 4-6, 2018. Invitations will be extended in mid-December. At the discretion of the Admissions Committee, selected international applicants may be contacted for interviews via phone or internet.
Final admissions decisions will be made during mid-February.