SATURDAY, APRIL 7, 2018
DOORS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC FROM 10:00AM - 4:00PM
The students, faculty, and staff of the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine invite you, your family and friends to our 52nd annual Open House.
Open House is our opportunity to share the joys of our profession with the community. Veterinary students and members of the faculty and staff host this annual event that provides a chance for those interested to get a closer look at veterinary medicine. We invite you to tour our college and learn more about our facilities, our equipment, and what we do everyday.
Students, faculty members, and staff will be on hand to answer your questions about a career as a veterinarian, a veterinary technician, or an animal care specialist. Careers in veterinary medicine have traditionally involved working with dogs, cats, cows, horses, sheep, and pigs. However, this rapidly growing field also provides opportunities to work in the animal health industry, government, armed forces and with many other species in zoos, wildlife refuges, and developing countries.
PLEASE NOTE: PERSONAL PETS ARE NOT ALLOWED AT OPEN HOUSE
ADMISSION TO THE EVENT IS FREE. DONATIONS ARE WELCOME! Registration not required
SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES
Events, Demos, and Tours
- K9 Officer Demonstration: See our canine police officers in action at 10:30am, 12:30pm and 1:30pm - tickets required - tickets will be available the day of the event at the information table
- Ithaca Dog Sports Club Canine Agility Demonstration: Watch canine athletes run through an obstacle course and learn more about this fun owner-dog team sport at 11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm and 3pm - tickets required - tickets will be available the day of the event at the information table
- Canine Acupuncture Demos at 10:00am, 11:30am and 2:00pm
- Teaching Dairy Barn Tours every half hour beginning at 10am. Last tour at 3pm. Tours are approximately 50 minutes.
- Virtual Hospital and Animal Health Diagnostic Center Tours
- Ultrasound demos throughout the day
- Canine Water Treadmill Demo
- Equine Treadmill Demo
- MRC Tours: Get a sneak peek of the models the vet students use
- Animal Health Diagnostic Center Tours
Admissions Information and Veterinary Career Sessions
For those interested in applying to the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, as well as for those who just want to know more about veterinary education and careers in veterinary medicine, there will be admissions and veterinary career information sessions throughout the day at the following times:
Admission Presentations and Student Panels
11am and 1:30pm with Jennifer Mailey, Director of Admissions
(get there early as it fills up fast)
Be a Wildlife Hero!
11am, 1:30pm and 3pm
Learn how YOU can save wildlife from your own home!
What to do with the Wild Critter
11am, 1:30pm and 3pm
Ever come across a baby bird? How about that opossum in the basement? Come learn what to do!
Cornell Raptor Program
The Raptor Program will give their annual talk on our birds and meet them firsthand
Common Household Toxins
what’s dangerous for your pets in your home?
Friendly or Not?
11am, 1:30pm and 3pm
How to Understand Body Language - When does a dog want to be pet? When does he need some space? Let’s learn!
We will have a wide range of exhibits for you to enjoy, many back by popular demand!
- Dentistry- learn about tooth health in your dogs and cats
- Cardiology- hear the heartbeat, see the heartbeat! Listen to an animals heartbeat using a stethoscope.
- Canine Water Treadmill- watch a dog use a water-filled treadmill and learn about rehabilitation
- Imaging (Ultrasound and Radiology) - see the inside like the vets do! Discover more about the anatomy of your pets.
- Pathology Club’s Gross Science - all kinds of weird, creepy, and downright nifty specimens
- Small Animal Physical Exam- get your hands on a pup or a cat and learn how the vets do it
- Camelids- meet a camel
- Equine Treadmill- see a HORSE. On a TREADMILL. See a demonstration of our state of the art performance treadmill used to study orthopedic and cardiovascular diseases of horses.
- Painted Horse- get a beautiful image of a horse’s insides
- Milking Cow- learn how to milk a cow
- Hole-y Cow- Blossom, our famous fistulated cow, will once again be showing off her rumen! Learn how cows digest their food
- Petting Zoo- come and meet a variety of farmyard friends
- Pocket Pets- chinchillas and rats can be awful sweet, come see
- Herptiles- snakes and lizards to meet
- Wildlife Health- identify skulls, learn how to wrap an injured wing, dart a wild beast, and learn about our Wildlife Health Center
- Dress Like a Surgeon- get on all the gear you’ll need for your future
- Teddy Bear ER- got a busted bear? Let the Cornell Vet Students fix it up. Vet Students will surgically repair your wounded stuffed animals* with TLC.*PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN INJURED STUFFED ANIMAL FOR TEDDY BEAR ER. WE ARE UNABLE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH STUFFED ANIMALS FOR SURGERY
- Face Painting- Get your face painted with your favorite animal ($1.00 Minimum Donation)
- Watch as our expert farrier fabricate horse shoes throughout the day.
- BRAD- learn about animal research and why it matters
Local Non-Profits- These groups are animal shelters and other animal-focused organizations within our community. Many bring animals along with them, and they’re all ready to answer questions and fill you in on what they do!
- Cornell Companions
- Canine Companions for Independence
- Guiding Eyes for the Blind
- Finger Lakes Adopt-A-Grey
- Golden Retriever Rescue of CNY
- Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation
- House Rabbit Society
- Tompkins County 4H Program
- Humane Society of Schuyler County
- SPCA of Tompkins County
- Southside Healthy Pet Clinic
- Tompkins County Dairy Princess
Corporate Sponsors, Government Agencies, Technician Schools- Come learn about some of the other aspects of animal health, from public health with the Health Department, to how to become a veterinary technician. We’ll also have a few sponsors with information on their pet products!
- Tompkins County Health Department
- SUNY Canton
- SUNY Delhi
Hills Pet Nutrition
Annual SAVMA Sale of Cornell Apparel
The Brand New Cafeteria will be open with casual breakfast items at 10am and progress to lunch at 11am with a salad bar, pizza, sandwiches, snacks and more
Our doors will open at 10:00 am. Open House lasts until 4:00 pm. Parking and admission are free. Donations are accepted.
For your GPS use: 930 Campus Road, Ithaca, NY 14853.
The Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine is at the intersection of Route 366 and Tower Road in Ithaca, New York. Open House visitors should park in the large "O" parking lot just off Tower Road and enter the college through the Veterinary Medical Center Public Entrance. The doors are under the open house banner in the Veterinary Education Center.
From the north: take Route 34 South to Route 13 South to Ithaca; turn onto Buffalo Street; turn right onto Albany Street, turn left onto Green Street; turn left onto Route 366; at the Y intersection, bear right; turn left on to Tower Road across from Cornell Orchards.
From the northeast: take Route 13 South towards Ithaca; turn left onto Route 366 (by NYSEG); turn right onto Tower Road across from Cornell Orchards.
From the south: take Route 13 North to Ithaca; turn right onto Green Street; turn left onto Route 366; at the Y intersection, bear right; turn left on to Tower Road across from Cornell Orchards.
From the east: take Route 79 West to Ithaca, turn right onto Pine Tree Road; continue until 4-way stop sign; turn right onto Route 366; turn left on to Tower Road across from Cornell Orchards.
From the west: take Route 79 East, Route 96 South, or Route 89 South to Ithaca; after you cross the inlet bridge, turn right onto Fulton (one-way street); at the Route 13/Meadow Street intersection, continue straight across onto Clinton Street; turn left onto Albany Street; turn right onto Green Street; Green Street turns into State Street and continues to be Route 79 East; continue up State Street; bear left onto Mitchell Street; bear left onto Ithaca Street; turn right onto Route 366; turn left onto Tower Road across from Cornell Orchards.
For more information:
Contact the Office of Student and Academic Services
Phone: 607-253-3700 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
View the Open House Map
Share your feedback about the 52nd Annual Open House here