John Schimenti, PhD
Our lab investigates the genetics and mechanisms of reproduction, meiosis, and genome maintenance. A major focus concerns checkpoint mechanisms that detect errors in germ cell development so as to protect against chromosome aberrations and birth defects in offspring. We also study how defects in DNA replication lead to genetic aberrations, developmental abnormalities, and cancer. Finally, we have undertaken a project to identify human infertility alleles in human populations using CRISPR-mediated modeling in mice.
- McNairn, A., Rinaldi, V. and Schimenti, J. (2017) Repair of meiotic DNA breaks and homolog pairing in mouse meiosis requires a minichromosome maintenance (MCM) paralog. Genetics 205:529-537. PMID: 27986806 DOI: 10.1534/genetics.116.196808
- Kartha, N., Shen, L., Maskin, C., Wallace, M. and Schimenti, J. (2016) The chromatin remodeling component Arid1a is a suppressor of spontaneous mammary tumors in mice. Genetics 203:1601-11.
- Bai, G., Smolka, M. and Schimenti, J. (2016) Chronic DNA replication stress induces senescence by TRP53-dependent downregulation of the Minichromosome Maintenance 2-7 factors. PLoS Genetics 12:e1005787.
- Singh, P. and Schimenti, J. (2015) The genetics of human infertility by functional interrogation of SNPs. PNAS, 112:10431-36. PMC4547237.
- Singh, P., Schimenti, J. and Bolcun-Filas, E. A mouse geneticist’s practical guide to CRISPR applications. (2015) Genetics. 199:1-15.
- Luo, Y., Hartford, S., Zheng, R., Southard, T., Shima, N., and Schimenti, J. Hypersensitivity of primordial germ cells to compromised replication-associated DNA repair involves ATM-p53-p21 signaling. (2014) PLoS Genetics 10:e1004471.
- Bolcun-Filas, E., White, M., Rinaldi, V. and Schimenti, J. Reversal of female infertility by Chk2 ablation reveals the oocyte DNA damage checkpoint. (2014) Science, 343:533-536.
- Wallace, M., Southard, T. Schimenti, K. and Schimenti, J. (2014) Role of DNA damage response pathways in preventing carcinogenesis caused by intrinsic replication stress. Oncogene 33:3688-95.
Awards and Honors