Adam Boyko, PhD
- PhD, Biology, Purdue University, 2005
- MS, Computer Science, Purdue University, 2004
- BS, Ecology, Ethology & Evolution, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1999
- BS, Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1999
Adam Boyko is an assistant professor in Biomedical Sciences at the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. His research focuses on genomic investigation of dogs as a model of genetic disease and evolutionary genetics. One aspect of this work is understanding the evolution and genetics of village dogs, the semi-feral pariah dogs found in much of the world today. Dr. Boyko is a graduate of the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign and received an MS in Computer Science and a PhD in Biology from Purdue University before his postdoctoral research in the Department of Biological Statistics and Computational Biology at Cornell University. He served as a Research Associate in the Genetics Department at the Stanford School of Medicine before beginning his faculty appointment at Cornell in 2011.
Dr. Boyko is a member of Cornell's Center for Vertebrate Genomics, the Center for Comparative and Population Genomics, and the fields of Comparative Biomedical Sciences; Computational Biology; Genetics, Genomics and Development; Molecular and Integrative Physiology and Zoology and Wildlife Conservation. He also serves as Founder and Chief Science Officer of Embark Veterinary, a canine genetic testing company.
- Adam H. Freedman, AH, RM Schweizer, DO Vecchyo, E Han, B Davis, I Gronau, PM Silva, M Galaverni, Z Fan, P Marx, B Lorente-Galdos, O Ramirez, F Hormozdiari, C Alkan, C Vilà, K Squire, E Geffen, J Kusak, AR Boyko, HG Parker, C Lee, V Tadigotla, A Siepel, CD Bustamante, TT Harkins, SF Nelson, T Marques-Bonet, EA Ostrander, RK Wayne and J Novembre. 2016 Demographicallybased evaluation of genomic regions under selection in domestic dogs. PLOS Genet, 12, e1005851.
- Hayward, JJ, MG Castelhano, KC Oliveira, E Corey, C Balkman, TL Baxter, ML Casal, SA Center, M Fang, SJ Garrison, SE Kalla, P Korniliev, MI Kotlikoff, NS Moise, LM Shannon, KW Simpson, NB Sutter, RJ Todhunter and AR Boyko. 2016. Complex disease and phenotype mapping in the domestic dog. Nat Comm, 7, 10460. Adam R. Boyko 2
- Schlamp, F, J van der Made, R Stambler, L Chesebrough, AR Boyko* and PW Messer*. 2016. Evaluating the performance of selection scans to detect selective sweeps in domestic dogs. Mol Ecol, 25, 342–356.
- White, ME, JJ Hayward, T Stokol, AR Boyko. 2015 Genetic mapping of novel loci affecting canine blood phenotypes. PLOS One, 10, e0145199.
- Shannon, LM, RH Boyko, MG Castelhano, E Corey, JJ Hayward, C McLean, ME White, M Abi Said, BA Anita, NB Ikombe, J Calero, A Galov, M Hedimbi, B Imam, R Khalap, D Lally, A Masta, KC Oliveira, J Randall, NM Tam, C Valeriano, FJT Cornejo, L Pérez, NB Sutter, RJ Todhunter, CD Bustamante and AR Boyko. 2015. Genetic structure in village dogs reveals a Central Asian domestication origin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 112, 13639–13644
- Li, Y, D Wu, AR Boyko, G Wang, S Wu, DM Irwin and Y-P Zhang. 2014. Population variation revealed high altitude adaptation of Tibetan Mastiffs. Mol Biol Evol, 31, 1200-1205.
- Boyko, AR, SA Brooks, AL Behan, E Corey, KC Oliveira, RJ Todhunter, Z Zhang, MG Castelhano, DM Ainsworth and NE Robinson. 2014. Genomic analysis establishes correlation between growth and laryngeal neuropathy in Thoroughbreds. BMC Genom, 15, 259.
- Freedman, HA, RM Schweizer, I Gronau, E Han, DO Vecchyo, PM Silva, M Galavemi, Z Fan, P Marx, B Lorente-Galdos, H Beale, O Ramierz, F Hormozdiari, C Alkan, C Vilà, K Squire, E Geffen, J Kusak, AR Boyko, H Parker, C Lee, V Tadigotla, A Siepel, CD Bustamante, TT Harkins, SF Nelson, EA Ostrander, T Marques-Bonet, RK Wayne and J Novembre. 2014. Genome sequencing highlights the dynamic early history of dogs. PLOS Genet, 10, e1004016.
- Tang, R, HJ Noh, D Wang, S Sigurdsson, R Swofford, M Perloski, M Duxbury, EE Pettersson, J Albright, M Castelhano, A Auton, AR Boyko, G Feng, K Lindblad-Toh and EK Karlsson. 2014. Candidate genes and functional noncoding variants identified in a canine model of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Genom Biol, 15, R25.
- Auton, A, Y Rui Li, J Kidd, K Oliveira, J Nadel, JK Holloway, JJ Hayward, PE Cohen, JM Greally, J Wang, CD Bustamante and AR Boyko. 2013. Genetic recombination is targeted towards gene promoter regions in dogs. PLOS Genet, 9, e1003984.
- Goldstein, O, J Mezey, P Schweitzer, AR Boyko, C Gao, C Bustamante, J Jordan, G Aguirre and G Acland. 2013. IQCB1 and PDE6B mutations cause similar early onset retinal degenerations in two closely related terrier dog breeds. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 54, 7005–7019.
- Li, Y, BM vonHoldt, G Wang, A Reynolds, AR Boyko, RK Wayne, D Wu and Y Zhang. 2013. Artificial selection on brain expressed genes during the domestication of dog. Mol Biol Evol, 30, 1867–1876.
- Schoenebeck, JJ, SA Hutchinson, A Byers, HC Beale, B Carrington, DL Faden, M Rimbault, B Decker, JM Kidd, R Sood, AR Boyko, JW Fondon III, RK Wayne, CD Bustamante, B Ciruna and EA Ostrander. 2012. Variation of BMP3 contributes to dog breed skull diversity. PLOS Genet, 8, e1002849.
- Xie, X, J Molina, R Hernandez, A Reynolds, AR Boyko, CD Bustamante and MD Purugganan. 2011. Levels and patterns of nucleotide variation in domestication QTL regions on rice chromosome 3 suggest lineage-specific selection. PLOS One, 6, e20670.
- Molina, J, M Sikora, N Garud, JM Flowers, S Rubinstein, A Reynolds, P Huang, SA Jackson, BA Schaal, CD Bustamante, AR Boyko and MD Purugganan. 2011. Reply to Ge and Sang: A single origin of domesticated rice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 108, e756.
- vonHoldt, BM, JP Pollinger, DA Earl, JC Knowles, AR Boyko, H Parker, E Geffen, M Pilot, W Jedrzejewski, B Jedrzejewska, V Sidorovich, C Greco, E Randi, M Musiani, R Kays, CD Bustamante, EA Ostrander, J Novembre and RK Wayne. 2011. A genome-wide perspective on the evolutionary history of enigmatic wolf-like canids. Genom Res, 21, 1294–1305.
- Molina, J, M Sikora, N Garud, JM Flowers, S Rubinstein, A Reynolds, P Huang, SA Jackson, BA Schaal, CD Bustamante, AR Boyko and MD Purugganan. 2011. Molecular evidence for a single origin of rice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 108, 8351–8356.
- Boyko, AR. 2011. The domestic dog: man’s best friend in the genomic era. Genom Biol, 12, 216.
- Myers, RA, F Casals, J Gauthier, FF Hamdan, J Keebler, AR Boyko, CD Bustamante, AM Piton, D Spiegelman, E Henrion, M Zilversmit, J Hussin, J Quinlan, Y Yang, RG Lafrenière, AR Griffing, EA Stone, GA Rouleau and P Awadalla. 2011. A population genetic approach to mapping neurological disorder genes using deep resequencing. PLOS Genetics, 7, e1001318.
- Myles, S, AR Boyko, C Owens, PJ Brown, F Grassi, MK Aradhya, B Prins, A Reynolds, J Chia, D Ware, CD Bustamante and ES Buckler. 2011. Genetic structure and domestication history of the grape. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 108, 3530–3535.
- Boyko, AR*, P Quignon*, L Li*, JJ Schoenebeck, JD Degenhardt, KE Lohmueller, K Zhao, A Brisbin, HG Parker, BM vonHoldt, M Cargill, A Auton, A Reynolds, AG Elkahloun, M Castelhano, DS Mosher, NB Sutter, GS Johnson, J Novembre, MJ Hubisz, A Siepel, RK Wayne, CD Bustamante and EA Ostrander. 2010. A simple genetic architecture underlies morphological variation in dogs. PLOS Biol, 8, e1000451.
- Awadalla, P, J Gauthier, RA Myers, F Casals, FF Hamdan, AR Griffing, M Côté, E Henrion, D Spiegelman, J Tarabeux, A Piton, Y Yang, AR Boyko, CD Bustamante, L Xiong, É Fombonne, L Mottron, M Zilversmit, J Keebler, H Daoud, C Marineau, MH Roy-Gagnon, MP Dubé, A EyreWalker, P Drapeau, EA Stone, RG Lafrenière, GA Rouleau. 2010. Direct measure of the de novo mutation rate in autism and schizophrenia cohorts. Amer J Hum Genet, 87, 316–324.
- Goldstein, O, JG Mezey, AR Boyko, C Gao, W Wang, CD Bustamante, LJ Anguish, JA Jordan, SE Pearce-Kelling, GD Aguirre and GM Acland. 2010. An ADAM9 mutation in canine cone-rod dystrophy 3 establishes homology with human cone-rod dystrophy 9. Mol Vision, 16, 1549–1569.
- Williams, LM, X Ma, AR Boyko, CD Bustamante and MF Oleksiak. 2010. SNP identification, verifi- cation, and utility for population genetics in a non-model genus. BMC Genet, 11, 32.
- vonHoldt, BM, JP Pollinger, KE Lohmueller, E Han, HG Parker, P Quignon, JD Degenhardt, AR Boyko, DA Earl, A Auton, A Reynolds, K Bryc, A Brisbin, JC Knowles, DS Mosher, TC Spady, A Elkahloun, E Geffen, M Pilot, W Jedrzejewski, C Greco, E Randi, D Bannasch, A Wilton, J Shearman, M Musiani, M Cargill, PG PG Jones, Z Qian, W Huang, Z Ding, Y Zhang, CD Bustamante, EA Ostrander, J Novembre and RK Wayne. 2010. Genome-wide SNP and haplotype analyses reveal a rich history underlying dog domestication. Nature, 464, 898–902.
- Andrés, AM, MJ Hubisz, A Indap, DG Torgerson, JD Degenhardt, AR Boyko, RN Gutenkunst, TJ White, ED Green, CD Bustamante, AG Clark and R Nielsen. 2009. Targets of balancing selection in the human genome. Mol Biol Evol, 26, 2755–2764.
- Cadieu, E, M Neff, P Quignon, K Walsh, K Chase, HG Parker, BM vonHoldt, A Rhue, AR Boyko, A Byers, A Wong, DS Mosher, A Elkahoun, TC Spady, C André, KG Lark, M Cargill, CD Bustamante, RK Wayne and EA Ostrander. 2009. Coat variation in the domestic dog is governed by variants in three genes. Science, 326, 150–153.
- Torgerson, DG, AR Boyko, RD Hernandez, A Indap, X Hu, TJ White, JJ Sninsky, M Cargill, CD Bustamante and AG Clark. 2009. Evolutionary processes acting on candidate cis-regulatory regions in humans inferred from patterns of polymorphism and divergence. PLOS Genet, 5, e1000592.
- Boyko, AR, RH Boyko, CM Boyko, P Jones, HG Parker, M Castelhano, L Corey, J Degenhardt, A Auton, M Hedimbi, R Kityo, EA Ostrander, J Schoenebeck, RJ Todhunter and CD Bustamante. 2009. Complex population structure in African village dogs and its implications for inferring dog domestication history. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 106, 13903–13908.
- Gray, MM, JM Granka, CD Bustamante, NB Sutter, AR Boyko, L Zhu, EA Ostrander and RK Wayne. 2009. Linkage disequilibrium and demographic history of wild and domestic canids. Genetics, 181, 1493–1505.
- Auton, A, K Bryc, AR Boyko, KE Lohmueller, J Novembre, A Reynolds, A Indap, MH Wright, J Degenhardt, RN Gutenkunst, KS King, MR Nelson and CD Bustamante. 2009. Global distribution of genomic diversity underscores rich complex history of continental human populations. Genom Res, 19, 795–803.
- Nielsen, R, MJ Hubisz, I Hellmann, D Torgerson, AM Andrés, A Albrechtsen, R Gutenkunst, MD Adams, M Cargill, AR Boyko, A Indap, CD Bustamante and AG Clark. 2009. Darwinian and demographic forces affecting human protein coding genes. Genom Res, 19, 838–849.
- Novembre, J, T Johnson, K Bryc, Z Kutalik, AR Boyko, A Auton, A Indap, KS King, S Bergmann, MR Nelson, M Stephens and CD Bustamante. 2008. Genes mirror geography within Europe. Nature, 456, 98–101.
- Nelson, MR, K Bryc, KS King, A Indap, AR Boyko, J Novembre, LP Briley, Y Maruyama, DM Waterworth, G Waeber, P Vollenweider, JR Oksenberg, SL Hauser, HA Stirnadel, JS Kooner, JC Chambers, B Jones, V Mooser, CD Bustamante, AD Roses, DK Burns, MG Ehm and EH Lai. 2008. The population reference sample (POPRES): a resource for population, disease, and pharmacological genetics research. Amer J Hum Genet, 83, 347–358.
- Blekhman, R, M Oma, L Hermann, AR Boyko, A Indap, C Koisol, CD Bustamante, KM Teshima and M Przeworski. 2008. Natural selection on genes that underlie human disease susceptibility. Curr Biol, 18, 883–889.
- Boyko, AR, SH Williamson, AR Indap, JD Degenhardt, RD Hernandez, KE Lohmueller, MD Adams, S Schmidt, JJ Sninsky, SR Sunyaev, TJ White, R Nielsen, AG Clark and CD Bustamante. 2008. Assessing the evolutionary impact of amino acid mutations in the human genome. PLOS Genet, 4, e1000083.
- Lohmueller, KE, AR Indap, S Schmidt, AR Boyko, RD Hernandez, MJ Hubisz, JJ Sninsky, TJ White, SR Sunyaev, R Nielsen, AG Clark and CD Bustamante. 2008. Proportionally more deleterious genetic variation in European than in African populations. Nature, 451, 994–998.
- Boyko, AR. 2008. Optimal age difference cannot differ between monogamous males and females: a comment on Fieder and Huber. Biol Let, 4, 82.
- Caicedo, AL, SH Williamson, RD Hernandez, AR Boyko, A Fledel-Anon, TL York, NR Polato, KM Olsen, R Nielsen, SR McCouch, CD Bustamante and MD Purugganan. 2007. Genome-wide patterns of nucleotide polymorphism in domesticated rice. PLOS Genet, 3, 1745–1756.
- Boyko, RH, AR Boyko and MG Boyko. 2007. Referee bias contributes to home-field advantage in English premiership football. J Sports Sci, 25, 1185–1194.
- Boyko, AR, RM Gibson and JR Lucas. 2004. How predation risk affects the temporal dynamics of avian leks: sage grouse vs. golden eagles. Am Nat, 163, 154–165.
Awards and Honors
- Zoetis Award for Veterinary Research Excellence (2015)
- Genome Technology magazine Young Investigator award (2010)
- Walter M. Fitch finalist, Society for Molecular Biology and Evolution (2006)
- H. E. Umbarger Outstanding Graduate Student in Research, Purdue University (2005)
- Graduate Student Award for Outstanding Teaching, Purdue University (2005)
- Andrews Fellowship, Purdue University (1999)
- Chancellor’s Scholar, Campus Honor Program, University of Illinois (1995–1999)
- James Scholar, College of Engineering, University of Illinois (1995–1999)
- 2011-present, Assistant Professor, Biomedical Sciences, Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, Ithaca, NY
- 2015-present, Co-founder and Chief Science Officer, Embark Veterinary, Inc., Ithaca, NY
- 2009-2011, Research Associate, Genetics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA
- 2008-2009, Research Associate, Biological Statistics & Computational Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 2005-2008, Postdoctoral Researcher, Biological Statistics & Computational Biology