Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences
Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences
Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, NY 14853
Office Location: A1-216 Animal Health Diagnostic Center
Planetary Health/One Health, Fisheries, Livelihoods, HIV/AIDS, Nutrition, Environmental change
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley 2015
Department of Environmental Science, Policy & Management
Masters of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley 2013
Epidemiology, Certificate in Public Health Nutrition
A.B., Princeton University, cum laude 2006
Department of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, Certificate in Environmental Studies
Lecturer (Assistant Professor, beginning in 2018), Program in Public Health, Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, Cornell University 2017-Present
Postdoctoral Fellow, Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future, Cornell University 2015-2017
Adjunct Postdoctoral Fellow, Earth Institute, Columbia University 2015-2017
Immersion Fellow, Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC) 2015-2016
Doctoral Student, Environmental Science, Policy & Management, 2009-2015
University of California, Berkeley
- Fiorella, KJ, Gurney, C, Leong, M, Stillinger, T. 2010. Nature's Matrix: Linking Agriculture, Conservation and Food Sovereignty. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture. 34(8): 923-925.
- Fiorella, KJ, Cameron, A, Sechrest, W, Winfree, R, Kremen, C. Methodological considerations in reserve system selection: a case study of Malagasy Lemurs. 2010. Biological Conservation. 143: 963-973.
- Cohn AS, Eitzel, MV, Fiorella, KJ, et al. (authors contributed equally). 2012. Review of ‘Interdisciplinary Environmental Studies: A Primer’ by Gunilla Oberg. Quarterly Review of Biology. 87(3): 247-248.
- Bellan, SE, Fiorella, KJ, Melesse, DY, Getz, WM, Williams, BG, Dushoff, J. 2013. Extra-Couple HIV Transmission in Sub-Saharan Africa: a mathematical modeling study of survey data. Lancet. 381(9877): 1561-1569. Covered by: The Economist, All-Africa, News Medical
- Fiorella, KJ. 2013. Considering the Complexity in HIV/AIDS and the Environment. American Journal of Public Health. 103(9): e1.
- Nagata, JM, Fiorella, KJ, Young, SL, Otieno, OD, Ijaa, K, Bukusi, EA, Cohen, C.R. 2013. Socio-demographic and health associations with body mass index at the time of enrollment to HIV care in Nyanza Province, Kenya. AIDS Care. 25(12): 1491-1498.
- Fiorella, KJ. 2013. Interpersonal relationships in research: balancing reciprocity and emergencies. Journal of Research Practice. 10(2): N1.
- Brashares, JS, Abrahms, B, Fiorella, KJ, Golden, CD, Marsh, RA, McCauley, DJ, Nunez, T, Seto, K, Withey, L. 2014. Wildlife Decline and Social Conflict. 2014. Science. 345(6195): 376-378. Covered by: BBC News, The New Yorker, NPR, The Daily Mail, Scientific American
- Withey, L, Seto, K, McCauley, DJ, Fiorella, KJ, Marsh, RA, Abrahms, B, Nunez, TA, Golden, CD, Brashares, JS. Fauna in decline--response. 2014. Science (Letters). 346(6211): 819-820.
- Fiorella, KJ, Hickey, MD, Salmen, CR, Nagata, JM, Mattah, B, Magerenge, R, Cohen, CR, Bukusi, EA, Brashares, JS, Fernald, LCH. 2014. Fishing for Food? Analyzing links between fishing livelihoods and food security around Lake Victoria, Kenya. Food Security. 6(6): 851-860.
- Nagata, JM, Fiorella, KJ, Salmen, CR, Hickey, MD, Mattah, B, Magerenge, R, et al. 2014. Around the table: Food insecurity, socio-economic status, and instrumental social support among women living in a rural Kenyan island community. Ecology of Food and Nutrition. 54(4).
- Hickey, MD, Salmen, CR, Omollo, DO, Mattah, B, Fiorella, KJ, et al. 2014. Pulling the network together: Quasiexperimental Trial of a Patient-Defined Support Network Intervention for Promoting Engagement in HIV Care and Medication Adherence on Mfangano Island, Kenya. JAIDS. 69(4): 127-134.
- Salmen, CR, Hickey, MD, Fiorella, KJ, Omollo, D, et al. 2015. “Wan Kanyakla” (We are together): Community Transformation in Kenya Following a Social Network Intervention for HIV Care and Treatment. Social Science and Medicine. 147: 332-340.
- Fiorella, KJ, Camlin, CS, Salmen, CR, Omondi, R, Hickey, MD, Omollo, DO, Milner, EM, Bukusi, EA, Fernald, LCH, Brashares, JS. 2015. Transactional Fish-for-Sex Relationships Amid Declining Fish Access in Kenya. World Development. 74: 323-332.
- Hickey, MD, Omollo, DO, Salmen, CR, Mattah, B, Blat, C, Ouma, GB, Fiorella, KJ, et al. 2016. Movement between facilities for HIV care among a mobile population in Kenya: transfer, loss to follow-up and re-engagement. AIDS Care. May 4:1-8.
- Fiorella, KJ, Chen, R, Milner, EM, Fernald, LCH. 2016. Agricultural Interventions for Improved Nutrition: A Review of Environmental and Livelihood Dimensions. Global Food Security. 8: 39-47.
- Miller, J, Fiorella, KJ, Wekesa, P, Boateng, G, Collins, S, Young, S. 2017. An inquiry into a recent paper on pica in western Kenya. NFS Journal.
- Fiorella KJ, Rapacciuolo, G, Trisos, C. 2016. Biodiversity Conservation Priorities: Learning from Public Health. Nature (Correspondence). 538 (317).
- Gaynor, KM, Fiorella, KJ, Kurz, DJ, Gregory, GH, Seto, KL, Withey, LS, Brashares, JS. 2016. War and wildlife: linking armed conflict to conservation. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. 14(10): 533-542. (cover story)
- Seto, K & Fiorella, KJ. From Sea to Plate: Remembering Fish in a Sustainable Food System. Frontiers in Marine Science. 74(4).
- Chang, A, Fiorella, KJ, Hickey, MD, Salmen, CR, Bukusi, EA, Cohen, CR, Auerswald, CL. Marginalization and community perception of HIV care, treatment, and support on Mfangano Island, Kenya. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research Education and Action. In press.
- Fiorella, KJ, Milner, EM, Salmen, CS, Hickey, MD, Omollo, DO, Mattah, B, Adhiambo, A, Bukusi, EB, Fernald, LCH, Brashares, JS. 2017. Human Health Alters the Sustainability of Fishing Practices in East Africa. PNAS. 114(16): 4171-4176. Covered by: Daily Nation (Kenya), Voice of America (radio), NSF, Cornell Chronicle, Berkeley News
Awards and Honors
2015-2017 Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future Postdoctoral Fellowship, Cornell University
2014 Philomathia Fellowship
2011 Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship (FLAS), DhoLuo
2011 Meaningful Modeling of Epidemiological Data, Workshop and Travel Support
2009-2012 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP)
2006-2008 High Meadows Fellowship to work at a non-profit organization, The Food Project
2015 Nutrition Embedding Evaluation Program, PATH and DFID; lead author, award to Organic Health Response, Mfangano Island, Kenya,
2014, 2015 Environmental Science, Policy & Management Summer Grant
2014 NSF Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement, Geography & Spatial Science
2012 Andrew & Mary Thompson Rocca Scholarship in Advanced African Studies
2012 Partnerships for Enhanced Engagement in Research, USAID, NAS, NSF; lead author, award to Organic Health Response, Mfangano Island, Kenya
2011-2016 NSF Coupled Human and Natural Systems, contributing author (to J. Brashares)
2011 One Health Summer Research Program
2010 Sigma Xi Grants-in-Aid of Research
2010 Andrew & Mary Thompson Rocca Pre-Dissertation Award in African Studies
2010 Sara’s Wish Foundation Fellowship
2006 Mr. and Mrs. George Shultz Fund Award
- Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future
- Society for Conservation Biology
- American Society for Nutrition